Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Not A Real Post

I've been having trouble thinking of something to write about this week. I don't know about yours, but my internet is full of breed bans and nurse strikes and misogyny and anger and hatred. So many people yelling at each and no one is listening, so they yell even louder. And then I'm over here like, "Cannon held a dumbbell in his mouth and sat for, like half a second! BEST. DAY. EVER!"

It just doesn't seem like the appropriate response.


But there's enough vitriol in the world that I don't want to add to it. Or even comment on it, really.

So what's there to do? What can I do? Little old me. Who does not want to sit and be angry, but isn't eager to jump into the fray, either. Who cares but is repulsed by all the hatred.

I look around me, and I suspect what the world needs right now is more love. So I think I will go find an opportunity to put love into the world that was not there before. Volunteer for some trail clearing up on the north shore, maybe, or mow the lawn so the Voice of Reason doesn't have to. Donate a few extra bucks to the local nature center. Pay for someone's coffee at Caribou. Take the opportunity to really listen to someone without judgement or agenda. Some random act of kindness.


The trouble with love is that it's quiet. It doesn't usually make the news, and it's often overlooked when it does. And maybe I'm mushy and useless, but I think what the world really needs now, first, before we can tackle the other issues, is more caring. About each other. Particularly about people we disagree with, maybe. Because like Maya Angelou said, hatred has caused a lot of problems, but it has yet to solve any.

No comments:

Post a Comment