Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Two Week Staycation in Motion


This is Abe. He might look familiar to some of you folks; he's one of the nine squishies we recently pulled from SPAC. I got him because in addition to being very shut down, he also had a few red flags on his behavior eval. I'm pretty confident there's a good dog in there somewhere, but I hate to make someone else responsible for those red flags if I'm wrong. I get a lot of questions about how the Two Week Staycation protocol works in real life, so what I will try to do for the next two weeks is post a picture everyday of Abe and what his Staycation looks like.

So here is Alive Day +1: Abe's world is two rooms, the second bedroom where his crate is and the kitchen. He's also been outside to the potty area, but outside is very scary, and for better or worse, Abe can't pee if he's scared. My other dogs have the rest of the house, divided up by baby gates with blankets over them (they're napping in the basement with my husband right now). Yesterday, he would pancake to the floor if anyone so much as breathed in his direction. Today, we spent a total of about an hour and a half coaxing and teaching Abe to take treats from our hands. Now, he only pancakes if you look at him.

Slow progress is still progress. There's no need to hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment